Parkrose School District No. 3

Parkrose School District No. 3

The Parkrose School District began in 1885 as a schoolhouse on Sandy and 122nd. District records begin in the summer of 1913 and do not refer to the name Parkrose, but to “the old school house on Buckley Avenue and Sandy Road.” A. M. Pullen, pioneer descendant, was chairman of the Board of Directors of School District #3 in 1913, and the census record show 131 students were enrolled, ranging in age from the eleven four-year-olds to the four who were 19. That same year, the district bonded for $10,000 to construct and furnish a four-room building, Parkrose Elementary. It was better known as the Wygant School when Brainard and Reynolds roads were renamed and the school’s address became 10624 NE Wygant. The upper floor became the first Parkrose high school a few years later. In the mid-1920s, a $31,000 bond measure passed, 72-9, and a new brick high school, Prescott High School, was built at 10629 N. E. Prescott. By 1928, the high school faculty numbered seven teachers and principal, R. W. Rose, who taught physics and later became the first Parkrose Superintendent. During the Fifties and early Sixties, the school board’s major concern was meeting the needs of an ever-increasing student population. It was a time of growth, building, and remodeling as the post-war baby boom hit the schools. Prescott Elementary was completed in 1947 and the new Parkrose High School in 1950. They were followed by Knott Street Elementary, 1951; Sumner Elementary, 1954; Thompson Elementary, 1957; Parkrose Heights Junior High, 1957; Sacramento Elementary, 1960; Parkrose Middle School (Formerly Fremont), 1961; Shaver Elementary, 1963; and Russell Elementary,...